Serves 2 // Prep time 5 min // Cook time 40 min
- 100g red lentils (washed)
- 1 pint of vegetable stock
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 a tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- large handful of fresh spinach
- 150g brown rice
Optional: I also added avocado. Fresh coriander would be a great garnish option.
- The brown rice will take the longest to cook, so put this on the boil first and allow it to cook as you make the dhal – this usually takes about 35-40 minutes. Alternatively, use microwavable sachets of wholegrain rice to cut down the cook time.
- Make the vegetable stock in large pan and add the washed red lentils. Turn the heat up to a simmer.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and garlic.
- Then add all the dried seasonings (everything except spinach)
- Mix and allow the dhal to simmer for approx. 15-20 minutes, being careful to not let the lentils overcook and become mushy.
- When you think its almost ready, add in your spinach and let it wilt.
- Plate with the brown rice. The ideal dhal texture should still be quite liquidy.