Serves 4 // Prep time 10 min // Cook time 25-30 min
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 celery stick (chopped)
- 1/2 a green pepper (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 100g red lentils (washed)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Put the onion, garlic, carrot, celery & green pepper into a sauce saucepan with the oil and 2 tbsp of water. Mix together and heat until sizzling.
- Lower the heat, cover and allow to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the red lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, veg stock and herbs. Bring to the boil, add salt/pepper to taste then cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and stir, the mixture should have reduced slightly and thickened.
- Combine with cooked pasta and serve.